On Fri, 4 Oct 2019, Philip wrote:

Morning List,

Lately I'm getting a bunch of emails that are showing up with two email addresses in the From: field.

From: "Persons Name <lo...@address.nz>" <s...@address.com>

When you look in your mail client (Outlook, Thunderbird) it's showing only "Persons Name <lo...@address.nz>"

Is there a way I can mark From: that has 2 email addresses in it as spam? Pro's Cons?

Phil

I seem to remember past discussions of this sort of thing.

Bottom line, it's a mixed bag. There are legitimate messages that include an address'ey looking in the "comment" part of the 'From:' header.

Use the "header rule_name  From:name =~ /target\@some\.place/"
format rule (IE use the From:name field).

This works best when looking for spear-phishing type messages where you're looking for specific kinds of deception, EG:

  header T_PAPAL_PHISH4        From:name =~
/\b(?:Pay[Pp]al|service)\@paypal\.com\b/

For a general rule, I wouldn't treat it as a hard spam sign but use it in combination with meta's

#include <std_disclaimer.h>