On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 8:16 AM Martin Gregorie <mar...@gregorie.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2020-07-10 at 10:36 +0200, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> > On 10.07.20 08:50, Axb wrote:
> > > the US problems won't be fixed with renaming B&W lists.
> > > Seriously.. you have more important issues...
> >
> > while I am not a fan of renaming, I think that
> > "welcome list" and "block list" are more informational.
> > While people working with these terms know them, others may not so
> > well.
> >
> Still a bit woolly methinks. I think, acceptlist and rejectlist are a
> more meaningful pair of terms.

      I do agree that accept works better than welcome here.

> Similarly I, and the places I've worked, have always used client and
> server rather than slave and master. While I see no need to use 'slave'

      I will argue that the master/slave connotation implies a
dependency: a slave DNS server will take updates pushed by the master.
Server/client connotation not only does not have that meaning (clients
can cheerfully ignore the server) but also then you have

1. Client DNS server and Server DNS server. Confused already or just
concerned about a call from the Redundant Ministry of Redundant
Redundancies?
2. A "server" is also someone who serves, same root as "servant." Soon
enough someone will say that also implies servitude and slavely.

> term outside its historic and ongoing human designation, I do see a
> continuing use for 'master', where it describes a unique object that is
> frequently replicated of a person with extensive understanding of a body
> of knowledge, e.g. master (of a sailing ship), master craftsman, or a
> qualification: MSc, MA, etc.

      How long until we have to rename electrical and mechanical connectors?