On 8/25/2020 2:29 PM, Benny Pedersen wrote:
maybe make clamav sigs ?

Benny,

Thanks for your other suggestions - those are worth exploring.

Also - the Clamav Sigs is not a bad idea - but even besides the fact that (like SA rules), Clamav is content filtering and not at the SMTP-Envelope level - Clamav doesn't tend to have nearly AS fast of a turnaround time as do DNSBLs.

In a previous message, someone was disappointed that we missed one, and it turns out our 24-second turnaround time on that message (from the start of the SMTP connection - to being fully deployed in the data) was a contributing factor. We now have a plan to shorten that 24-seconds to about 4 seconds AND (for invaluement subscribers) - we have a "push" technology that is available now where those invaluement subscribers who opt for this feature (no extra charge!) - can get a split second notification to run their RSYNC just 1 second after the file updates - and we do that already for our direct query servers. So there is an option (once implemented!) to potentially get the these FULLY DISTRIBUTED within about 8 seconds from the start of the SMTP connection of the first such spam received - to being FULLY deployed on DNS servers (both our own direct query servers - and our RSYNC subscribers' internal rbldnsd servers) - that will be AMAZING. I expect to be there within a week from now. Something like clamav just can't even begin to compete with that fast of a turnaround. But ClamAv rules may still be a good way to get this implemented for many.

Someone else mentioned one that was completely off of our radar - but we're about to double the coverage of these in terms of mailboxes and traps used for this purpose - so that will help further minimize our "blind spots".

--
Rob McEwen
https://www.invaluement.com