On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 14:03:32 -0600
@lbutlr wrote:

> On 21 Sep 2020, at 08:21, Daryl Rose <rosed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't have the email server, it's hosted by a provider.  This
> > provider does a crappy job at filtering spam and phishing, so I am
> > running ISBG and Spamassassin to block the spam and phishing.
>
> This isn't really a workable solution

It really is, unless the account is being deluged with spam.

> as there are many tests that your SA can't do that a mail server can
> do.

There are a few tests that SA can't do, but SA can do some of them a lot
better. Mail servers have a huge handicap in that they mostly work in
real time. A polling delay and not testing 24/7 can make a huge
difference. On the list we see people reporting difficult spams that
have huge scores on retesting.

It's not necessarily true that an ISP with poor spam filtering is
failing to do server-side filtering. It may be just skimping on
expensive content-filtering, but still doing the cheap tests that save
resources. This is an ideal case for client-side filtering.