On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 13:31:33 -0500
Steve Charmer wrote:

> SA was originally installed using apt-get (Ubuntu-16)

> BACKUP
> I would feel safer if I had a backup of the current spamassassin
> system. is there a recommended method to backup all files to a tar?
>
> I think I have identified these folders as worthy of backup:
>
> # define an array of folders to backup
> backup_dirs=( \
> '/etc/spamassassin' \
> '/usr/bin' \
> '/usr/sbin' \
> '/usr/share/perl5' \
> '/usr/share/spamassassin' \
> '/var/lib/spamassassin' \

I only ever backup the equivalent of /etc/spamassassin, and not
especially before upgrades. I'm more likely to break it than a package
upgrade is. An upgrade should only reinstall the *.sample files under
that directory.

If you are going to back-up installed files you need to back-up
practically everything,  including the package database[s], so that you
can do a full roll-back. A partial restore of old installed files could
leave things in an inconsistent state - although you may get away with
it on Debian/Ubuntu.

> To upgrade to the latest version, 3.4.5
> do I just run:
>
> apt-get install spamassassin

I've not used Ubuntu or apt-get, but usually package managers have some
kind of upgrade command. Unless there's a good reason not to, I'd update
everything IIWY.

When upgrading SA to a different version you need to run sa-update to
populate the new rules directory and optionally run sa-compile if you
use it. spamd or any other daemon using the SA perl libraries (e.g.
amavisd) should be restarted.