On 21 Jan 2021, at 11:08, Steve Charmer wrote:

I'm sorry, but I do not understand your message.

I thought an upgrade fixes bugs. Maybe you are thinking about an update,
which seems like it would updates rules in *.samples?

From the man page for 'apt-get':

update
Used to re-synchronize the package index files from their sources. The indexes of available packages are fetched from the location(s) specified in /etc/apt/sources.list(5). An update should always be performed before an
   upgrade or dist-upgrade.

upgrade
Used to install the newest versions of all packages currently installed on the system from the sources enumerated in /etc/apt/sources.list(5). Packages currently installed with new versions available are retrieved and upgraded; under no circumstances are currently installed packages removed, nor are packages that are not already installed retrieved and installed.
   New versions of currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded
without changing the install status of another package will be left at their current version. An update must be performed first so that apt-get
   knows that new versions of packages are available.

IN SHORT: "update" applies to the package index used by apt-get, "upgrade" applies to the packages themselves.

I would "like" to backup everything, for safety, that is why I included a list of the directories (fodlers) which I thought had Spamassassin content, to get feedback from other users if they are the correct folders to backup,
in case a restore is needed. Unfortunately, I don't feel any more
knowledgeable than before I read your message. By "package databases" did
you mean the bayes database?

No. The 'apt-get' program needs to maintain an index of what packages are installed, so it has its own database.

So if anyone can assist with more advice on "exactly" what to backup and
how to run an "upgrade", please chime in.
Thank you.

Assuming that the packagers of SA for your platform have done their job properly, upgrading the package with apt-get should not modify any of your local config. It will only replace the files contained in the package.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire