On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 09:53:36AM +0200, Tom Hendrikx wrote:

> Can someone explain why SA cannot support this type of syntax, or what would
> be needed to get it supported? IMHO it makes it a lot easier for end-users
> to understand a rule, and for rule developers to write or even contribute
> new UTF-8-related rules, so it might be worth the effort to get it
> supported?

Perl strings internally would have to be UTF8.  Mandatory prerequisite would
be normalize_charset 1 in SA.  Could be some cases where SA can't decode
mails properly to UTF8, so it's a question mark what happens then.

Some changes are coming already in 4.0, for example normalize_charset 1 will
be default.  But more complex internal/rule changes require a lot of thought
on how to maintain backwards compatibility.  I'm sure some people will still
run 3.4 for years to come.

Sorry to say but there are too few developers right now.  It's up to the
community to pick up the pace.