On 2021-11-17 at 03:59:38 UTC-0500 (Wed, 17 Nov 2021 09:59:38 +0100)
Philipp Ewald <philipp.ew...@digionline.de>
is rumored to have said:

UTF-8 emails SHOULD be base64 encoded.

Hmm most of our mails we get are not base64 coded... (with charset UTF-8) but OK

Base64 encoding is only necessary if there are non-ASCII characters used. UTF-8 is a superset of ASCII & it is normal for MUAs to not encode more than needed. As a result, they often do no encoding or use quoted-printable encoding for just a few non-ASCII characters instead of base64, which encodes whole messages and has a 33% data size penalty.

So, to be more correct: MANY UTF-8 emails MUST be base64 encoded. No US-ASCII emails MUST be encoded.

So any UTF-8 witch is not base64 should get a spam rating bacause IT SHOULD be base64 coded?

never mind....

This reflects a widespread misunderstanding about how SpamAssassin works and the rationale behind the rules.

SpamAssassin rules are not laws in any sense. They do not prescribe or proscribe any action. They do not reflect any sort of moral or ethical judgment. They do not express or define technical correctness. They were created almost entirely by human guesses, across almost 20 years, judged and validated by our RuleQA process which determines the publication and scoring of individual rules within the whole set on a daily basis.

Whether a rule is published and what score it is assigned by default depends solely on how that rule has *proven* itself useful in discriminating between spam and ham. A rule does not exist because it "should" but because it WORKS. We do not force-publish rules because we think mail should or should not have particular attributes; we TEST, and the testing determines what gets scored. No amount of rigorous logic grounded in technical theory can override the judgment of RuleQA.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire