I have set up SpamAssassin with the following in /etc/spamassassin/mycustomscores.cf:

score RCVD_IN_SBL       10.0
score RCVD_IN_XBL       10.0
score RCVD_IN_PBL       10.0
score RCVD_IN_SBL_CSS   10.0
score URIBL_SBL         10.0
score URIBL_CSS         10.0
score URIBL_CSS_A       10.0
score URIBL_SBL_A       10.0

I do not otherwise block using Spamhaus at the MTA or elsewhere.

I occasionally see false positives because of these scores and it is when a domain is in the body of a message. When I check the Spamhaus website[1], the domain is not there. Each time this has occurred, it has been for a website currently in the news and usually something to do with politics.

A few days ago I happened to be on my computer exactly when one of these false positives came in[2]. I immediately went and checked the Spamhaus site and the domain was not listed. I checked several times throughout the day and never saw the domain there.

So I am trying to figure out why there is a disparity between what SpamAssassin reports and the Spamhaus website reports, but I'm not clear how SpamAssassin checks Spamhaus, and since these are usually domains I rarely have in a message any place, I don't have a good feel for whether or not this is some regular problem.

If anyone can point me to how this check is performed, that would be very helpful.

Thank you,

Paul

[1] https://check.spamhaus.org/
[2] Scores:
        *   10 URIBL_SBL_A Contains URL's A record listed in the Spamhaus SBL
        *      blocklist
        *      [URIs: wikileaksdotorg]
        *   10 URIBL_SBL Contains an URL's NS IP listed in the Spamhaus SBL
        *      blocklist
        *      [URIs: wikileaksdotorg]