On Wed, Dec 28, 2022 at 08:20:04AM -0500, Philippe Chaintreuil via users wrote:

> So there's desire that if a user doesn't want Mail::SPF installed, and
> SpamAssassin doesn't REQUIRE it (which it doesn't), it shouldn't be force
> installed.  But for SpamAssassin to work as installed, that plugin can't be
> enabled by default.

Even if Mail::SPF is not installed, it doesn't prevents you from loading the
SPF plugin, it just automatically disables itself.  This should be the
behavior for all the other default plugins too.

> I went back through Gentoo's history and it's been that way since 2005.

Common theme with SA. :-D

> There used to be a post-install warning that you'd need to choose which
> plugins you wanted enabled, but it got stripped out at some point. There is
> a section in the wiki that indicates you should go through the .pre files to
> enable/disable plugins.
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/SpamAssassin#Configuration

If default plugins aren't default as provided by SA for the rest of the
world, this should by explicitly implied in the wiki.  Someone could simply
come from other standard installs and assume URIDNSBL etc are loaded, as it
would make no sense for it to be disabled by default.

The default plugin set is intended for scanning to work well out of the box,
assuming of course that user installed all required Perl modules.