On 2024-01-30 at 09:59:52 UTC-0500 (Tue, 30 Jan 2024 09:59:52 -0500)
joe a <joea-li...@j4computers.com>
is rumored to have said:

Advisable to "prune" Bayes data based on age?

Yes. That is why it has an expiration model. Expiration may be de facto blocked on some busy systems so you may need to explicitly force it occasionally. The command "sa-learn --dump magic" will show you expiration and other Bayes metadata.

While cleaning up recent Ham/Spam, found my "saved SPAM" goes back to 2013.

Why that's over . . . wait, I need to take off my socks . . .

I've still got some almost 3x as old. BUT: I do not use it for training SA today.

So, how old is "too old".  For saved SPAM?

I would suggest a year as the outer edge of Bayes usefulness.

I find it helpful to keep my decades of garbage because I use them (and my ham archive) in developing prospective rules. There are non-obvious fingerprints in some spam that imply decades-long spamming operations.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire