On 2024-06-03 at 07:05:29 UTC-0400 (Mon, 3 Jun 2024 12:05:29 +0100 (BST))
Andrew C Aitchison <spamassas...@aitchison.me.uk>
is rumored to have said:

The DKIM RFC
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc6376#section-8.2
tells us that it is not safe to rely on the DKIM length (l=) tag

Never has been safe. Terrible idea from the start. Never should have been included in the specification.

and
   https://www.zone.eu/blog/2024/05/17/bimi-and-dmarc-cant-save-you/
shows how it can be used to subvert BIMI*.

I can't honestly say that I care. BIMI is a misguided concept useful only to marketers and the mythological creatures they call "consumers" who behave unlike many real humans.

I am looking at extending Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::DKIM to indicate when a DKIM body signature only covers part of the message body and how much of the body is unsigned (bytes, percentage or possibly both).

I was thinking of the same thing in a half-assed way, just catching anything using the length tag. I'd bet that correlates to spam but we'd need data to prove that.

I am new to the spamassassin code, so any comments or suggetions would be welcome.

Resist the urge to refactor. It's easy to break things.

* I am not a fan of BIMI, but big name players appear to be using
it to display "trustable" logos on GUI mail clients, so users *will*
be caught when it breaks.

The concept that users should learn to trust logos as authentication per se is harmful. BIMI should be broken now and with every opportunity available. It is an indicator that a MUA author puts the interests of marketers ahead of the interests of users.

--
Bill Cole
(AKA @grumpybozo@toad.social and many *@billmail.scconsult.com addresses)