On Sat, 22 Jun 2024, Paul Schmehl wrote:

      On Jun 22, 2024, at 12:28 AM, Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>
wrote:

On 6/21/2024 8:56 PM, Paul Schmehl wrote:
      I scratched my head, then looked up the man page for sa-update on the
web. Sure enough, that’s where the rules
      go. Is that where my local.cf file should be located? Right now it’s in
/etc/mail/spamassassin. There’s a default
      local.cf file in /var/lib/…..

/var/lib/spamassassin is where channels put their rules. /etc/mail/spamassassin
is where the host admin puts her
customizations. I like to use separate files for different policies, named
after each effect I'm trying to get. SA will load
anything there with a .cf extension.

It’s not clear to me from your answer. Does SA read rules in both places? Or
only in /etc/mail/spamassassin/?

Reading the "man" page documentation for spamassassin, it lists several different directories that SA looks for its config files in and the order that it reads them from.

The possible directories are distro and version specific so you need to read the docs for your specific instance.

--
Dave Funk                               University of Iowa
<dbfunk (at) engineering.uiowa.edu>     College of Engineering