>Everyone else - this may be off-topic, but consider it a lesson on what
>happens
>when your spam rules are too intrusive over silly things instead of asking the
>question "Is this mail spam?".   The method I proposed earlier is much more
>effective at identifying spam than looking at what host has a bad postmaster
>policy! and I was even able to recieve mail from a company that was listed as
>an open-proxy as long as the mail itself wasn't proxied spam.
>
>Quoting List Mail User <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>> You could ask them to request removal from the rfci "whois" list, I only
>> assign a couple of points for the other entries and they still seem to be
>> deserving of them, or you could try to find a company thet doesn't collect
>> and sell email lists!
>
>1 - Which other issues is midphase "deserving" of that you have given them
>"points" for?   I'll have them address any issues if they are doing something
>wrong.  If its something like a reverse DNS mapping on the mail server - too
>bad, it's shared hosting!   No way around it.

        Nope, like I said it is not a DNS issue at all.  They bounce mail
to postmaster@ and refuse DSNs.

http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/tools/detail.php?domain=midphase.com&submitted=1113582602&table=postmaster

and

http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/tools/detail.php?domain=midphase.com&submitted=1113582271&table=dsn

        I assign the pair a total of 1.6 points

>2 - Your accusation that midphase.com is collecting and selling email lists is
>pretty serious.  Please send proof of such accusations as I will DEFINATELY
>take that up with midphase and move myself and all sites I host to another
>provider if this is true.

        Here I am repeating myself, but:

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&num=30&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=88puppydog.com&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&safe=images

List: port-mvme68k
Date: 04/15/2005 07:18:33

Hello,

I am the webmaster of 88puppydog.com, and we would like to exchange links with
you. Details of our site is shown on our Links Page

CLICK to our URL below to go to our LINKS page to Submit your site for easy
LINKING.

http://www.88puppydog.com/Linksdirectory/user.php

You could also cut and paste the details of our site below and send us email,
so that we know you already added our link to your site.

Title: Puppies for sale , dogs, dog breeders

purebred puppies and dogs from private hobby professional reputable dog
breeders and kennels

url: http://www.88puppydog.com

Thank You

Aby

----- Registration data --------------------------------------------------------
% jwhois 88puppydog.com
[Querying whois.internic.net]
[Redirected to whois.enom.com]
[Querying whois.enom.com]
[whois.enom.com]

Registration Service Provided By: midPhase Services, Inc.
Contact: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Visit: http://www.midphase.com

Domain name: 88puppydog.com

Registrant Contact:
   midPhase Services, Inc.
   midPhase Services, Inc. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
   +1.3123861640
   Fax: +1.3123861630
   223 W. Jackson Blvd #600
   Chicago,  60606
   US

Administrative Contact:
   midPhase Services, Inc.
   midPhase Services, Inc. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
   +1.3123861640
   Fax: +1.3123861630
   223 W. Jackson Blvd #600
   Chicago,  60606
   US

Billing Contact:
   midPhase Services, Inc.
   midPhase Services, Inc. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
   +1.3123861640
   Fax: +1.3123861630
   223 W. Jackson Blvd #600
   Chicago,  60606
   US

Technical Contact:
   midPhase Services, Inc.
   midPhase Services, Inc. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
   +1.3123861640
   Fax: +1.3123861630
   223 W. Jackson Blvd #600
   Chicago,  60606
   US

Name Servers:
   ns11.midphase.com
   ns12.midphase.com

Creation date: 25 Feb 2005 20:42:54
Expiration date: 25 Feb 2006 20:42:54

The data in this whois database is provided to you for information
purposes only, that is, to assist you in obtaining information about or
related to a domain name registration record. We make this information
available "as is," and do not guarantee its accuracy. By submitting a
whois query, you agree that you will use this data only for lawful
purposes and that, under no circumstances will you use this data to: (1)
enable high volume, automated, electronic processes that stress or load
this whois database system providing you this information; or (2) allow,
enable, or otherwise support the transmission of mass unsolicited,
commercial advertising or solicitations via direct mail, electronic
mail, or by telephone.  The compilation, repackaging, dissemination or
other use of this data is expressly prohibited without prior written
consent from us.  The registrar of record is eNom.  We reserve the right
to modify these terms at any time. By submitting this query, you agree
to abide by these terms.
Version 6.3 4/3/2002

        It is possible that they are clueless, but the fact that they turned
on a answering machine during the spam run is enough to be "over the top"
for me;  This is documented at (and I still have phone logs and a telephone
bill showing I called the telephone number (312) 861-6402 that afternoon -
actually I called twice - there was no opportunity to try "extension 27"):

http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/tools/detail.php?domain=midphase.com&submitted=1113846806&table=whois

Note: There is no corporation or LLC named "FSCK Technologies" registered in
the state of Illinois.  This also is "enough for me" to be "slimy".

        It is also possible that they were collecting the addresses and links
for some other purpose, but what!?  And what do dogs have to do with the
obviously collected set of mailing lists that got the spam?

        Also note that the domain 88puppydog.com refused all mail to any of
abuse@, postmaster@ (and in fact all mail, period, at that time);  The yahoo
account in the spam was and is still active.  Also note that the host named
88puppydog.com is actually esc48.midphase.com.  Look at the links under:

http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/tools/lookup.php?domain=88puppydog.com

        I haven't bothered to check if this has ever been fixed - I don't
really care.

        Also, 88puppydog.com does have a web site with the note at the
bottom that it is part of "Dragon Group of companies".  Notice that they
are "brokers", not a company which actually breeds or raises animals (as
the "spam" above seemed to imply).  Why is that domain "owned" by midphase?
For some more "slime" try looking at (unfortunately, there are several
"Dragon Group"'s):

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&num=30&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=DRAGON+GROUP+OF+COMPANIES&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&safe=images

>-- Evan

        Paul Shupak
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

P.S.  A much simpler question to ask is just: Why are they the registrant of
a domain, which they host and provide DNS service for, which spammed many
mailing lists and didn't get shut?