I can only speak from the perspective of a small (but growing, thank you)
shop.   I was committed to using Linux and FOSS from the get, anyway, but as
a start-up, commercial solutions to a great many of our needs were out of
reach, price-wise.  Our email solution was
sendmail-spamassassin-rdj-clamav-mailscanner-mailwatch-synonym (last is an
email archiver).  The results have been an unparalled success, and I'm by no
means an expert in any one of the pieces involved.  The spamassassin piece
has worked flawlessly for us.  I second previous posts - SA is
cost-effective, easy-to-manage, and well-supported via the list.

Dimitri