On 5/26/2005 10:08 AM, Jake Colman wrote:
> Given the rather complete set of rules that ship with SA and which can
> expanded with SARE, does bayes learning really help?  Won't the rules catch
> pretty much everything anyway?

The base SA install is insufficient, but if you tweak the scores and add
some additional tests, you can get by without bayes just fine. I use a
select set of RBLs, Razor, rulesets from rulesemporium, and my own
LDAP-based weighting plugin, and my highest spam only gets an average of
one spam per day, and even those are over the 5.0 threshold (so they are
auto-filed into the Junk Email folder).

Bayes is great for per-user stuff, but unless you are willing to manage
the per-user databases (which I'm not), it is easier to just tweak the
system scores and rules. Less management overhead, less CPU, etc.