This is somewhat a philosophical question, but I will ask it anyways. Recent discussions have occurred on this list regarding what Spamassassin should do with Spam. The recent consensus seems to be that it is only Spamassassin's job to tag Spam and that some other program should decide what to do about it. I can accept this argument especially in regard to the old "spam_action" config option especially when set to "delete".

However, I have a user who raises a good point. He has a blacklist in his user_prefs. Spamassassin processes his Email message and indeed finds this blacklisted message as USER_IN_BLACKLIST shows up in the header. In addition lots of other processing occurs before the final score of 99 is tallied. His question is simply this: "Why does this message show up in his box at all?" His point being the message was blacklisted. Why is it not a good idea for Spamassassin to immediately send to /dev/null a message flagged in somebody's blacklist ASAP ... i.e. no further processing? Is the only way to handle this via a procmail recipe? Similar what about a whitelist ... shouldn't it be sent on as Ham ASAP ... i.e. a minimal of processing? How do others handle these cases?

--
Paul ([EMAIL PROTECTED])