Kris Deugau wrote:

> If I recall the appropriate RFC correctly, you're looking for
> something that - by definition - doesn't exist. Whitespace is
> whitespace, so the content of a header begins with the first
> non-whitespace character after the colon.

I checked <http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2822.html> for this:

  2.2. Header Fields
  Header fields are lines composed of a field name, followed by a
  colon (":"), followed by a field body, and terminated by CRLF.
  A field name MUST be composed of printable US-ASCII characters
  (i.e., characters that have values between 33 and 126,
  inclusive), except colon. A field body may be composed of any
  US-ASCII characters, except for CR and LF. [...]

  2.2.1. Unstructured Header Field Bodies
  Some field bodies in this standard are defined simply as
  "unstructured" (which is specified below as any US-ASCII
  characters, except for CR and LF) with no further restrictions.
  These are referred to as unstructured field bodies. Semantically,
  unstructured field bodies are simply to be treated as a single
  line of characters with no further processing (except for header
  "folding" and "unfolding" as described in section 2.2.3).

  3.6.5. Informational fields
  The informational fields are all optional. The "Keywords:"
  field contains a comma-separated list of one or more words or
  quoted-strings. The "Subject:" and "Comments:" fields are
  unstructured fields as defined in section 2.2.1, and therefore
  may contain text or folding white space.

    subject = "Subject:" unstructured CRLF

If I understand this correctly, the field body always starts with
the character after the colon, whitespace or not. I'm quite certain
that many SW implementations share your point of view, though.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Sincerely
Dipl. Inform. Ralph Seichter