jdow wrote:
> If I understand you then you are looking at a subject line that looks
> like this in the raw mail file.
> Subject: " This would be tagged as spam"
>
> This would render in email programs as a subject including the quotes:
> " This would be tagged as spam"
>
> The normal subject header begins with the first non-blank character after
> the "Subject:" part. That means the "\"" character is the first character
> in the subject not the " " character. So if you want to catch the specific
> subject you cited then you must use a rule like, I believe:
>
> header X_QUOTE_SUBJECT    Subject =~ /\b\"\bThis would be tagged as spam\"/i

J..

1)      \b is NOT a substitute for spaces. It's zero-width. For things other
than the
beginning/ending of a rule, use \s unless you REALLY understand the difference.
i.e. you should know why /hello\bWorld/ will never match anything.

In this case /\"\bT/ would match both " T and "T. Probably not what you wanted,
but since \b is zero width and "T counts as a boundary between word and-non-word
characters, this would match.

2) I'm figuring the quotes are figurative, only used to show the spacing.

Something like these might work better...
header X_DOUBLE_SPACE_SUBJECT   Subject =~ /^  \w/

header X_DOUBLE_SPACE_SUBJECT2  Subject =~ /^\s{2,20}\w/

But IMHO, checking the spacing a the start of a subject line is an
extraordinarily piss-poor test for spam. What if a real user accidentally bumps
the space bar before typing a subject...