All,

  I recognize this is a bit OT, but not sure where to turn...?

  I am trying to use DNS to load balance a couple spamd servers.  I am
attempting to return more than one A record for spam.mydomain.com, and I am
getting a correct dig, but just a test telnet is returning "Unknown host".

  What am I doing wrong?

  Few more details:

  DNS hosted on a separate machine, say dns.mydomain.com.  Our SMTP server is
where the spamc calls out to spamd, and that machine's /etc/resolve has the
dns machine's hostname as the first nameserver entry.  From the SMTP machine,
I do "dig spam.mydomain.com" and I get my desired results:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
spam.mydomain.com.     259200  IN      A       10.10.10.105
spam.mydomain.com.     259200  IN      A       10.10.10.106

  I was pretty excited when I got that far, but then the next step - to try
to manually connect to one of the spamd daemons listening on those 10.
addresses - failed miserably:

# telnet spam.mydomain.com 2009
telnet: spam.mydomain.com: Name or service not known
spam.mydomain.com: Unknown host
#

(the port number above is what spamd is configured to listen on)

Seems like the DNS server is not the problem, but FWIW, the zone file for
mydomain.com has these entries:

spam            A       10.10.10.105
spam            A       10.10.10.106

Help?!??!