Put ClamAV (or another quality anti-virus) ahead of
SpamAssassin or try using the ClamAV plug-in with SA.

Some virus will even be larger than you would want to
check with SA so using ClamAV separately usually makes
the most sense.

If your users are Outlook/Outlook Express users they
will not have access to most exectuable extensions
anyway so it can make sense to just block anything with
those (exe, pif, com etc.) files.

(I have a long list prep'ed for a regex or for Exim if
anyone wants it posted again.)

--
Herb Martin