jdow wrote:
From: "Jim Maul" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Chris Santerre wrote:

> [...]

I have long said that IMHO, I do not think bayes is worth it. Left unattended, it isn't as good. A simple rule can take out a lot of spam. Some may say rule writing is more complicated then training bayes. Maybe. Not so much the rule writing, but the figuring out what to look for and testing for FPs.

I do not run Bayes for our company. Obviously I'm partial to URIBL.com and SARE rules ;) I get about 98% of spam caught, and little FPs.

This is going to sound like tooting our own horn, but so be it. Before SARE, Bayes was cool. After SARE, I see no need.

I always feel i have to point out the flip side to this just to offer another opinion. While i certainly dont have a NEED for bayes at our facility, i do run it, complete with autolearn. We have very low volume (5k msgs/day) but it works so well i rarely ever have to think about it. For us, 96% of the time bayes alone is enough to say whether a message is ham/spam. Add all the other tests on top of this (uribl, razor, a few sare, and theres easily a 20 point difference between ham and spam.

Jim, can you back that up with a run of the SARE version of sa_stats.pl?
I'd love to see your record with that setup for the highest and lowest
ranking BAYES scores.

{^_^}

i dont have any sa-stats.pl on my system, and i recall some confusion with different scripts named the same thing so im not sure. If you can provide me with a location to obtain the sa-stats.pl script you are talking about i'll try to give it a run when i get some time. Im running 2.64 through qmail-scanner if it matters.

-Jim