Thanks for your reply.  I added the last line because according to the list
of default rules on the wiki it seemed like a lot of messages might be
hitting it and getting a negative score.  Obviously i was kind of shooting
in the dark on that one... so I will remove the ALL_TRUSTED line.  However I
have a feeling the problem goes deeper than that, because I added it after
already having the problem.

> Your bayes_*_autolearn thresholds need to be widened out.

Could you elaborate?  I have spam autolearn set to six because I read that
was the minimum effective setting, and it seemed like a lot of spam is not
getting learned.  Conversely, I didn't want to set ham autolearning because
it seemed like low scoring spam would be incorrectly learned as ham.  Am I
not understanding that correctly?