Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  This is what I've done:

required_score 4
rewrite_header Subject *****SPAM*****
add_header all Report _REPORT_
use_razor2 1
razor_config /etc/mail/spamassassin/.razor/razor-agent.conf
razor_timeout 600
trusted_networks w.x.y.z
use_bayes 1
use_bayes_rules 1
bayes_path /home/_vilter/.spamassassin/bayes
bayes_auto_learn 1
bayes_auto_learn_threshold_spam 6
bayes_auto_learn_threshold_nonspam -5
skip_rbl_checks 0
rbl_timeout 600
use_auto_whitelist 0

As you can see I:

Lowered my nonspam threshold so in theory only very low scoring mails should
be learned as ham

Removed the very wrong and bad ALL_TRUSTED 0 line

Added a trusted_networks line that contains the IP address of my mail server
/ SA machine.  Based on what I've read at
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/TrustPath this should be all I really
need on that front.  My mail server is in a non-NATed DMZ with a public IP
address.

Last but not least I added the line:
add_header all Report _REPORT_

so that I can see what rules are being hit.  Unfortunately I am still not
seeing these headers added to the messages.  The only headers I get are
these:

and in the case of the spam threshold being met:

Before I made the changes to local.cf I deleted my bayes db's so everything
would be learned afresh.

Despite these changes, most spam continues to receive low scores.

Does anyone have a theory about why I am not seeing the Report headers?  (I
know the local.cf file is being read because when I changed the required
score from 5 to 4, that change is reflected in the headers.)

TIA.