> On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Mike Sassaman wrote:
>
> > Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  This is what I've done:
> >
> > required_score 4
> > rewrite_header Subject *****SPAM*****
> > add_header all Report _REPORT_
> > use_razor2 1
> > razor_config /etc/mail/spamassassin/.razor/razor-agent.conf
> > razor_timeout 600
> > trusted_networks w.x.y.z
> > use_bayes 1
> > use_bayes_rules 1
> > bayes_path /home/_vilter/.spamassassin/bayes
> > bayes_auto_learn 1
> > bayes_auto_learn_threshold_spam 6
> > bayes_auto_learn_threshold_nonspam -5
> > skip_rbl_checks 0
> > rbl_timeout 600
> > use_auto_whitelist 0
> >

> > As you can see I:
> >
> > Lowered my nonspam threshold so in theory only very low
> scoring mails should
> > be learned as ham
> >
> > Removed the very wrong and bad ALL_TRUSTED 0 line
> >
> > Added a trusted_networks line that contains the IP address
> of my mail server
> > / SA machine.  Based on what I've read at
> > http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/TrustPath this should
> be all I really
> > need on that front.  My mail server is in a non-NATed DMZ
> with a public IP
> > address.
> >
> > Last but not least I added the line:
> > add_header all Report _REPORT_
> >
> > so that I can see what rules are being hit.  Unfortunately
> I am still not
> > seeing these headers added to the messages.  The only
> headers I get are
> > these:
> [snip..]
> > Does anyone have a theory about why I am not seeing the
> Report headers?  (I
> > know the local.cf file is being read because when I changed
> the required
> > score from 5 to 4, that change is reflected in the headers.)
> >
> > TIA.
>
> Mike,
> I'm assuming that you've done a 'spamassassin --lint' and
> gotten a clean
> bill-of-health to check for syntax errors in your config file.
>
> take a small simple example "ham" message and feed that
> directly to SA to
> see if you are getting your expected report headers. EG:
>
> % spamassassin < /tmp/test-message.txt
>
> If that does -not- have the report headers then you've still
> not gotten
> your configs correct. If that -does- have the report but mail passing
> thru your system does not, then it is a milter issue.
>
> When using a sendmail+milter setup, it is up to the milter to decide
> what damage to do to the message, not SA. The milter takes a copy of
> the incoming message, hands it to SA via the 'spamd' protocol, looks
> at the status results that it got back and then sends
> commands to sendmail
> to modify the actual message. SA cannot directly modify the message
> [...]

Thanks for that useful info.  making progress!

% spamassassin --lint shows no output, so I'm thinking that means no
problems in my local.cf.

% spamassassin < /tmp/test-message.txt on a lowscoring spam (-1.6 according
to smtp-vilter's headers) get scored a whopping 14.3 by spamassassin!  Tests
hit include HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR, BAYES_99, RCVD_IN_SORBS_DUL,
RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET, RCVD_IN_XBL, RCVD_IN_NJABL_DUL

So I think Dave is right - the problem is with the milter, or at least the
milter / spamassassin communication.

Does anyone have any experience using the 'smtp-vilter' milter or have idea
what might be causing this issue?  In the meantime I will be searching the
docs...