makes sense. thanks for the help guys (including those whose replies dont appear here)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Matthew.van.Eerde wrote:
Yusuf Ahmed wrote:
SCENARIO: I am the owner of "sample.com.au". I have email accounts
named "info" and "joeblow", therefore their email addresses would be
[EMAIL PROTECTED] and [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PROBLEM: I am getting tonnes of spam coming through to random email
prefixes @sample.com.au. I would like to block all email sent to
@sample.com.au except for the email addresses specified above.
Hmmm... you should probably also accept [EMAIL PROTECTED] See section 4.5.1 of RFC 2821. http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2821.html

Also, you should probably REJECT mail to invalid addresses at RCPT TO
time.  This will allow people who are legitimately trying to send you
mail at a mistyped address to receive an undeliverable report, rather
than assuming the message went through.

Also also, what about BCC?  SpamAssassin will not see the address, and
therefore cannot add a score based on the address.

Or what about emails
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Bcc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

SpamAssassin will only analyze the email once, but you'll want to accept it for
[EMAIL PROTECTED] and reject it for [EMAIL PROTECTED] which you can't do in
SMTP after seeing the DATA anyway.