From: "Matt Kettler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

mouss wrote:
Matt Kettler a écrit :

AFAIK, *VERY* few distro packages contain anything from tools.

That said, I personally wonder why anyone would use a distro package for
something that updates are often time-sensitive. (ie: SpamAssassin, clamav,
etc).

While I try to avoid pre-packaged binaries, I prefer pre-packaged sources.

some reasons:
- system specific options are already there (no need to tell the sw
where to install its files).
- to manage dependencies automatically (at least to avoid dll hell)

I agree there are some upsides to distro packages. However, there are downsides:
I myself am completely turned off by distro packages of SA. They seem to hurt
more often than they help compared to source-tarball installs. At least with the
tarballs I know what's in them matches what Justin, Theo, Dan and the SA crew
talk about. Sure you can check with your distro, but I like getting my support
here and I like knowing I'm using a version that matches their code-base
exactly.

OK, when the storage structure of the tarball based package you want
changes how do you extirpate the old and insert the new without the
rather depressingly familiar dual SpamAssassin install? (Not that the
package systems like RPM always get it right. They do better than most
if you stick with the RPMs.)

{^_^}