> states like California where it could matter (reducing costs in govt
> overhead by eliminating multiple languages and the requirement for
> multilingual workers), the "English as state language" supporters are
> afraid of what almost happened in Florida.

Considering that at last census a "minority" of 54% of California residents
spoke Spanish as their primary or only language...

I predict that the US will be the first country in the 21th century to
abandon English as the national language, while almost all other countries
seem to be mandating that their citizens learn English.

        Loren