On Thursday, April 13, 2006 10:32 PM -0600 "Paul R. Ganci" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Unfortunately I am still a linguistic idiot and only speak English ... a
Buffalo, NY version at that! My grand parents came over from Italy in
1920 and promptly stopped speaking Italian around my parents. It forced
my parents to learn English at the cost of never learning Italian. There
is plently of room to accomodate two languages but neither the US
education system or home life is set up to do it.

Same here. I took a couple years of high school Spanish in California and the classes dragged so incredibly slowly that I learned just a little vocabulary and the most basic of grammar, and still led the class. I usually finished my physics homework in that class while waiting for everyone to catch up.

As a programmer I envy my professional peers who can speak Japanese and other non-European languages. My interest in programming languages extends to natural languages, and I find their differences fascinating.

To those of you who've successfully learned 2nd and 3rd languages as an adult, what do you recommend for accomplishing that?