qqqq wrote:

My point here is - think outside the box. I'm going to be lobbying IMAP
server developers to include SQL backends. exim could pipe data into a
local delivery agent, or it can have features written to write directly
to the SQL backend.

Thoughts ..... ?
Because I am an SQL dummy, I do have this question.  Would aps like Mysql and Postgres be able to handle 10,000+ users with an average of 50 MB of email?

I really don't know.

Also, does the body just get written to a table?

Enlighten me,

QQQQ
That would be about 500 gigs of email. Fry's Electronics has drives that size on special for $189. So - I'd say yes, should be fairly easy to scale up to that size and beyond.