Greg Allen wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob McEwen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, June 09, 2006 6:16 PM
To: users@spamassassin.apache.org
Subject: RE: The Future of Email is SQL

MS Exchange... one big Database

Exactly...

And that is one reason why I wouldn't touch this SQL idea with a 10 foot
pole.. the fact that Exchange works this way only proves my
point... I hear
all the time about Exchange servers crashing and the
administrator having to
rebuild the database while the mail server is down for the next 10 hours.

Yup, I have worked on Exchange servers for years. 5.5 blew up all the time.
2000 not so much at all. I expect 2003 is failrly stable. But regardless, if
it does go... that group of users is down all day. I know some orgs are
using clusters on Exchange to help with that problem... but now you have a
cluster that only one guy knows how to work on. The guy who set it up. So,
if the cluster gets screwed somehow, you have to find the guy who set it up,
you then have to fix the cluster, and then the Exchange. Just shoot yourself
in the head and save some time.

I would rather use Exchange with seperate PST files for each user, and it
will let you do that. The reason most companies end up on the single HUGE
database it because Exchange requires that be down to share appointments,
tasks, etc.

What I have in mind would be a far better database than Exchange. I'm assuming a really good database like MySQL or Oracle and I'm assuming that in the future that databases will get even better. Spamassassin has switched from DB files to MySQL and I think that kind of evolution will continue. So - I'm trying to plant that idea of a SQL future.