On Mon, 14 Aug 2006, Ole Nomann Thomsen wrote:

> Hi, in order to avoid bouncing spam back to the (almost certainly) faked
> sender-addresses, I thought I could use SA directly:
>
> Suppose I configure it to substitute "<>" for the sender/reply-to in any
> spam? That way spam-generated bounces would be dumped. Unfortunately It
> doesn't seem possible:
>
> * "rewrite_header from" will let met insert rfc 2822 comments but not
> substitute entirely.
>
> * "remove_header" and "add_header" will only let me work on "X-spam-*"
> headers.
>
> So am I left with writing my own wrapper here? That means a lot of testing
> and double-testing, as I don't feel particularly lucky today.
>
> - Ole.

Other people have already commented on the issue of bouncing spam.

One detail that I think you don't understand, mail routing is controlled
by the envelope-sender and envelope-recipient addresses, the addresses
in the headers are ignored for that purposes. In most configurations SA
only gets to see/change the headers, it does not get to mess with the
envelope addresses at all.
Thus even if you could get SA to change the header addresses it wouldn't
have your desired effect.
Only your MTA gets to play with the envelope addresses, so any re-routing
you want to to will have to be done at the MTA level.

You need to look at something like mailscanner or amvis-new which
integrate into your MTA.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>