On Thu, 28 Sep 2006, Deephay wrote:

> On 9/28/06, Olivier Nicole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > I am quite new to SA (a week of SA life), and the SA is working, the
> > > thing is, SA is incredibly slow on my server (2.8GHZ CPU + 2GB Memory
> > > + Qmail + Qmail-scanner).  Here's a typical scan log:
> > >
> > > result: . 0 - SPF_PASS scantime=14.7,size=1689  .......
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Problem is not that it is slow.
> >
> > That SA takes 14 seconds to deliver a message is not an issue, email
> > is not a real time process anyway and transiting email from one
> > gateway to another can take minutes or hours.
>
> The scantime=14.7 does not mean the scan time of spamassassin?

It does. 14.7 seconds to scan the message.

> > Problem would be is SA would make high CPU load on your server.
> >
> > 14 seconds may be just the delay for the various network tests to
> > respond.
>
> You mean the test form SA?

Yes. The various DNS and URI blocklist lookups and Razor/Pyzor/DCC all
take time to complete.

A system snapshot (load average, running processes, memory consumption
including swap) taken during processing of a message would help us
determine whether there *is* a problem. If fifteen seconds is the high
end of what you are seeing, you do not have a problem.

> I have googled for this kind of situations and I found I am the
> slowest. If I stop the spamd, the delivery will be much faster.

If you are worried about a fifteen second delay in delivery of email
you need to tune your users' expectations, *NOT* SpamAssassin.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Email is a best-effort,
non-guaranteed store-and-forward messaging system. It is not Instant
Messaging. It is not a general-purpose file transfer utility. Delays
will happen.

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ    ICQ#15735746    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]    FALaholic #11174    pgpk -a [EMAIL PROTECTED]