On Mon, 9 Oct 2006, Craig Baird wrote:

> I have an old Redhat box that started doing this a while back.  After a lot of
> hair pulling, I finally figured out that the problem was related to spam
> floods, but seemed to be caused by the syslog daemon.

That's actually not a bad suggestion; the OP should check to make sure
that whatever log SpamAssassin is going to (probably the maillog) is
asynchronous (is prefixed with a "-"), like this:

mail.*          -/var/log/maillog

That's the default on most Linuxes, but if you've changed that, or if
you're filtering SpamAssassin stuff to a different log, that could
cause the problems.

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University