Robert Swan wrote:
Guys, if my mail server announces itself as mail.somename.com and has a
PTR that matches. I can send mail out as [EMAIL PROTECTED] or
[EMAIL PROTECTED] as long as the MX record for the domain
"anothername.com" reads as "mail.somename.com"
The original questions was how do I write a header rule similar to
below, to identify if the announce name and PTR name do not match?

header  LOCAL_INVALID_PTR2  Received =~ /from \S+ \(unknown /

Doesn't sendmail usually insert the phrase "claiming to be some.other.host" in these situations? For instance,

Unfortunately a quick grep for 'claiming to' in my mail spool shows dozens of perfectly legitimate mail servers that result in a "claiming" header, like the one above.

The only one of these cases that I score is "claiming to be localhost" which gets 3 points here. They're nearly always spams though they're usually tagged by other rules. A quick grep of my logs shows that the lowest SA score received by a message that claims to be localhost is about 10 (including the 3 points for this rule).

Peter