Phil Barnett wrote:
On Monday 11 December 2006 16:50, JamesDR wrote:

Would you care to elaborate on why SPF doesn't work for sender
verification? Its pretty simple, doesn't get much more simple that what
SPF does... If SPF doesn't work, nothing will.

There is nothing in SPF to keep a spammer with a botnet from putting 0.0.0.0/0 as their approved domain limit.

Sounds like a good spam sign to me. Let the spammers put 0.0.0.0/0 in their spf records, I'll pop in 3 points for good measure. Again, I said SPF doesn't stop bots. You will _never_ stop the bots. Why? Well over 99% of my spam comes from the far east. Are you going to convince all of those ISP's to change their ways, when they are making money off of their customers spamming you? I doubt you'll see much action happening quickly there. Graylisting now is a good solution. SPF helps with joe-jobs. RBL's block most of the crud upfront. All of the tools to 'break up the bot army' are there. No one bothers to use them all to stop the spam they get. So they throw up their hands and complain and yell for protocol changes, or to use some other method. My favorite, point the blame at someone else. I get 0 spam to the Inbox with nearly 1fp for every 1,000 mails passed through. We're small enough here to afford that 1fp as I check the marked spams.
I block all mail that fails SPF upfront. This also stops quite a bit.
If you get spam from one of my domains not from my mail server, its your own fault. Enjoy the spam, wasted bandwidth, and storing that mail for legal purposes.

--
Thanks,
James