Raul Dias writes:
>On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 15:35 +0000, Justin Mason wrote:
>> Theo Van Dinter writes:
>> > I'm assuming that there will be a Google Summer of Code 2007 going on, and
>> > that the ASF will be involved again.  So it's a good time to start thinking
>> > about things we'd like to put up as possible projects.
>> >
>> > We still have a number of items from last year that we could use again.
>> > Anything else that we'd like people to code up?
>>
>> Also, any suggestions from outside the dev team?  Anyone got good ideas
>> for new SpamAssassin features that would be good to pay someone to work on
>> for 3 months?
>>
>> --j.
>
>Not a direct improvement, but...
>
>- Add more hooks for plugins to let a broaded pluginization of SA.
>  e.g. letting plugins to load before parsing rules.

Is this not already possible?  If not, it should be, agreed.

For each case where you have a problem along these lines, feel free
to open a bug at the bugzilla and we can get it fixed.  Adding a plugin
hook point is generally an easy task since it has very low overhead
in most cases.

>- Better documentation of intenal structures used.  Avoid plugin authors
>  to break stuff.

Again, shout if you run into problems -- we need to be prodded into
action ;)

>- "Class"inization of some structures to facilitate plugins reuse.

Might be appropriate in some cases -- note that perl however (in common
with other dynamic langs like Ruby, python etc.) tends not to use
strictly-defined classes for many cases where C++ or Java would use a
class, instead using a more simple, loosely-defined name->value hash or
similar.  It's a slightly different approach to code design.
So it may not always be appropriate. ;)   Of course, these loosely-defined
hashes often need to be documented...

>- The pluginization of SA.  From Bayes to header, body, rawbody, score
>  rules.  The entire process of doing so would open doors for more
>  external plugin usage and control.
>
>While this might bring a slightly slower startup.  In the long run, the
>bennefits can be great.

Yeah, agreed.  This one can be tricky though as there are a lot more
details involved here ;)

I think there's ongoing work to pluginize the whole concept of rule
types -- eg. the entire body rule subsystem becomes just a plugin. It's
not ready yet though, and I'm not sure how fast it's progressing...

--j.