John Rudd wrote:

If you're going to do this, I would suggest that instead of counting to X hits on your low priority MX's and then blacklisting the IP, do this:

Count on all of your MX's, and look for a ratio between "hits on low priority MX's and hits on high priority MX's".

IF the high priority MX hit rate is 0, then just do a simple count on the hits against the low priority MX's.

IF the highr priority MX hit rate is > 0, then do (low priority hit rate) / (high priority hit rate), and look for a number >= something like 10.

That way, senders that might sequentially try your servers, due to problems, or even just because they roll through the servers over time, wont get tagged.

That's a good suggestion. You have me thinking. I'm using Exim and it has the RateLimit logic. Rather than a ratio I could maybe create a time window where if they hit the proper MX then it bypasses the improper MX tests for a fixed number of seconds.