Gene Heskett wrote:

I've been toying with "DANGER - DIHYDROGEN-MONOXIDE IN USE" signs
recommending use of appropriate protective gear. But in today's terrorism
atmosphere some idiot might not get it and....

Chuckle...

Only if they failed introductory chemistry 101, but it should be good for a chuckle even if you did have to explain it to the high school graduate, I know everything crowd. Its when they _still_ don't get it that could be a problem. By then they wouldn't touch a glass of it even with some of it in frozen form on a steaming hot day. Doesn't Darwin have an award for those?

Sadly, this isn't as implausible as one might hope. A few years ago, a nearby city council (Aliso Viejo, California) came close to banning styrofoam cups based on the fact that they contained a dangerous chemical: dihydrogen monoxide.

They blamed it on a paralegal who did "bad research," but somehow managed not to catch the joke until after it had been scheduled for a vote.

--
Kelson Vibber