Ok here's my 2 pence worth.

Botnet 0.8 is a lot better than 0.7 - please upgrade if you don't already.

Personally I find the big meta-rule a big heavy (or did at 0.7 anyway). I run
the rules separately which give me better results and also better visibility as
to why botnet fired.

A lot of these "false positive" errors are down to 1) lack of education and the
commercial mass mailers pretending to send out from the client but still
resolving back to the mass emailer.

Here's an example of how MailScanner handles this with it's phishing net
system. There's a big whitelist file that you can 1) add you own stuff to and
2) download updates for (which doesn't overwrite your whitelist).

Perhaps people need to get together with John to produce some sort of botnet
whitelist rbl for known 'good' commercial mass emailers like ems6.net?????

I'll shut up now ;-)

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator