On 10/26/07 6:59 PM, "Matt Kettler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Daniel J McDonald wrote:

>>> Add code to generate a lint warning any time a .cf file over 1mb is read
>>> unless a config option is set to silence it?
>>>

>> But people don't read logs, or they would know...  I'd suggest die-ing
>> instead.
>
> -1 on die-ing. There's no precedent for that in any of SA's existing
> behavior, even under the most severe config errors. This is largely done
> because it could screw over someones mail queue following an upgrade.
>
> And in this case, even if they read the logs, or ran a --lint, they
> wouldn't know anything other than "it's slow" and maybe "it eats memory
> like a hog". At least this way we can reach the ones that actually check
> the basics.

For what it's worth:  I stopped using blacklist.cf back around
2.1.3..haven't seen much of a difference with or without it....one of the
companies I work with has:

File messages : from Oct  1 00:01:37 to Oct 26 19:28:48
Total number of emails processed by the spam filter : 74552
Number of spams                         :     69518 ( 93.25%)
Number of clean messages                :      5034 (  6.75%)
Average message analysis time           :      6.73 seconds
Average spam analysis time              :      6.61 seconds
Average clean message analysis time     :      8.29 seconds
Average message score                   :     21.62
Average spam score                      :     23.80
Average clean message score             :     -6.44
Total spam volume                       :       345 Mbytes
Total clean volume                      :        92 Mbytes

We are well pleased with SA without blacklist.cf :)

James