Noiano wrote:
> McDonald, Dan wrote:
> > Ah, I gave you the syntax backwards.  Should be:
> > priority SUBJECT_IN_BLACKLIST -500

Odds are that change is irrelevant. In SA 3.2.3 at least, the
SUBJECT_IN_BLACKLIST is already configured with priority -900 and
shortcircuiting enabled, provided the Shortcircuit (not loaded by
default) and WhiteListSubject (loaded by default) plugins are loaded.

> Now it works but it doesn't seem to speed up the analysis process.
> It takes all most a second to analyze a message that meets the
> subject rule. Is there anything else that needs to be done?
Is your evolution calling "spamassassin" or is it calling "spamc"?

If it's calling "spamassassin", well, that's going to create a new
spamassassin instance for every message, and is going to be slow and
expensive to start up. Shortcircuiting can't bypass the overhead of
calling SA, which is probably where most of your time is spent when
using "spamassassin".

You could switch to spamc, but this requires that you keep spamd running
on your system. That means that there will always be at least one
spamassassin instance loaded in memory (and thus occupying memory) at
all times. This makes scanning messages *MUCH* faster, but if you're not
running a lot of email, it wastes memory.

Also, if you are using spamd you *must* restart it every time you make
config changes other than user_prefs.

On my test box, spamd takes up 60mb of memory.

Without a blacklist_subject:
--------------------------
$  time spamassassin  <sample-spam.txt
<snip>
real    0m5.832s

$ time spamc <sample-spam.txt
<snip>
real    0m1.134s

Note the really big difference in time.

With a blacklist_subject and shortcircuiting enabled:
$  time spamassassin  <sample-spam.txt
<snip>
real    0m2.198s

$ time spamc <sample-spam.txt
<snip>
real    0m0.123s

Note that both got faster, but the plain spamassassin is still slower
than spamc is even when spamc isn't shortcircuiting the message.