Matt Kettler wrote:
> Noiano wrote:
>> McDonald, Dan wrote:
>>> Ah, I gave you the syntax backwards.  Should be:
>>> priority SUBJECT_IN_BLACKLIST -500
>
> Odds are that change is irrelevant. In SA 3.2.3 at least, the
> SUBJECT_IN_BLACKLIST is already configured with priority -900 and
> shortcircuiting enabled, provided the Shortcircuit (not loaded by
> default) and WhiteListSubject (loaded by default) plugins are loaded.
>
>> Now it works but it doesn't seem to speed up the analysis process.
>> It takes all most a second to analyze a message that meets the
>> subject rule. Is there anything else that needs to be done?
> Is your evolution calling "spamassassin" or is it calling "spamc"?

As long as I can see from top evolution calls spamassassin and not
spamc :-(. I also have seen something like "spamd child". What is that?

> If it's calling "spamassassin", well, that's going to create a new
> spamassassin instance for every message, and is going to be slow and
> expensive to start up. Shortcircuiting can't bypass the overhead of
> calling SA, which is probably where most of your time is spent when
> using "spamassassin".

I can do nothing about that, what a pity

> You could switch to spamc, but this requires that you keep spamd running
> on your system. That means that there will always be at least one
> spamassassin instance loaded in memory (and thus occupying memory) at
> all times. This makes scanning messages *MUCH* faster, but if you're not
> running a lot of email, it wastes memory.

Spamd is loaded at startup. If evolution calls spamassassin there is
no point loading spamd at startup right?

> Also, if you are using spamd you *must* restart it every time you make
> config changes other than user_prefs.

I always restart when changing something in the settings files.

> On my test box, spamd takes up 60mb of memory.
>
> Without a blacklist_subject:
> --------------------------
> $  time spamassassin  <sample-spam.txt
> <snip>
> real    0m5.832s
>
> $ time spamc <sample-spam.txt
> <snip>
> real    0m1.134s
>
> Note the really big difference in time.
>
> With a blacklist_subject and shortcircuiting enabled:
> --------------------------
> $  time spamassassin  <sample-spam.txt
> <snip>
> real    0m2.198s
>
> $ time spamc <sample-spam.txt
> <snip>
> real    0m0.123s
>
> Note that both got faster, but the plain spamassassin is still slower
> than spamc is even when spamc isn't shortcircuiting the message.

I see....

Thanks for your time!