Hi All,

A bit off topic since the users are all unknown so the traffic never makes
it to my spamassassin.  But I am hoping that someone here may have seen the
same thing and have a solution for making the problem "go-away" :-)

I'm not sure whether it's supposed to be a DDOS attack, a dictionary attack,
bunch-o-bots or what.  Since about the 26th of Dec I've had one particular
mailserver that has been dealing with a constant stream of crap... all
emails to unknown users, all of the email addresses seem consistent (either
3 'syllables'... an uppercased 'syllable', a lowercased 'syllable' and
another uppercased 'syllable'... or 2 uppercased 'syllables').  They don't
seem to be coming from any consistent IP address (or region).  Problem is of
course that the mailserver's connections get tied up processing rejecting
this crap (and of course it's chewing up my transfer allocation bit by tiny
bit).

The addresses are similar to these...

IgnaciogalvestonBriggs@
DallasexhibitionAlvarado@
ReginaldFleming@

Even tried yanking the IP address off of the server over the holidays in the
hope that whatever it was would just give up.  No such luck, within a minute
of reactivating the IP to the server this morning the traffic was back to
full flow.

Cheers,