Happy New Year everyone :-)

Am/On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 04:20:42 +0100 schrieb/wrote mouss:

>John D. Hardin wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007, Mike Cisar wrote:
>>

>>> Even tried yanking the IP address off of the server over the
>>> holidays in the hope that whatever it was would just give up.  No
>>> such luck, within a minute of reactivating the IP to the server
>>> this morning the traffic was back to full flow.
>>>

>> Tarpit 'em.
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/labrea
>>

>Tarpitting may not be the right answer, because "they" have a lot more
>resources than us (greetpause seems to work, if you use an asynchronous
>server or proxy, i.e. one which can do other things while "sleeping").
>
>you can reduce the load by having your server drop the connection when
>it rejects the mail, using 421 code.
>depending on the server, it may be possible to do this at connection
>time using zen.spamhaus.org (which lists many zombies).
>
>It may also be good to reduce the timeout when the server is under attack.

but could this not also cause loosing legitimate email?

my server was also under attack 2 or 3 month ago.
I tried the same thing as the op (listing ips in the fw etc), but these
things didn't help at all.

Most of the mails (>90%) were already dropped, because the ip didn't
resolve (cannot find your hostname), the next 9.9% were caught by
blacklists and only a very little number was rejected, because of
unknown user name.
One possibility might be to do the ip-check already through a hardware-
firewall.

But one actually can't do anything against the traffic coming to one's
"indoor".

best wishes to everybody (not to the spamsenders of course ;-) for 2008

Matthias