On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 11:47 PM, Marc Perkel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Steve Radich wrote:
>  > Sorry; apparently I was unclear.
>  >
>  > MX records I'm saying as follows:
>  >       100 - Real
>  >       200 - Real perhaps, as many "real" as you want
>  >       300 - Bogus - one that blocks port 25 with tcp reset for example
>  >       400 - accept port, logs ip -> blacklist (not to be scored
>  > aggressively at all) with a 421/retry.
>  >
>  > If a whole bunch of places are seeing the same smtp server hitting this
>  > 400 level MX then I'm saying that seems like a useful thing to be
>  > included in a blacklist using a low score in sa.
>  >
>  > The point was to offer the 400 level mx as a free service to log the ips
>  > quickly for those that don't want to set up the server themselves.
>  >
>  > In theory the 400 level MX wouldn't be used by "real" smtp very often,
>  > hence it's likely a spammer and therefore the IP could be auto
>  > blacklisted.  Realize I'm NOT proposing we block on this, just score
>  > based on this list.
>  >
>  > Steve Radich - http://www.aspdeveloper.net /
>  > http://www.virtualserverfaq.com
>  > BitShop, Inc. - Development, Training, Hosting, Troubleshooting -
>  > http://www.bitshop.com
>  >
>  >

>  I'm actually doing something like that. What I do is track hits on the
>  highest MX that has not hit the lowest numbered MX, then because I use
>  Exim I can track which IP addresses don't send the QUIT command to close

I am thinking about playing around with the same type of thing here..
Is this any different from looking for "lost connection after DATA" or
"lost connection after RCPT" errors in a postfix server's logs?  Not
sure why you can detect this because you run Exim specifically.   Or
am I missing something?

>  the connection. This combination creates a highly reliable blacklist and
>  I'm currently tracking about 1.1 million virus infected spambots that
>  have tried to spam me in the last 4 days.
>
>  It's my hostkarma list.

Sounds interesting.. do you block based on this list or just use it
for scoring in SA or something like that?  What is the false positve
rate?

-Aaron