Henrik K wrote:
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 09:48:37AM -0400, Randy Ramsdell wrote:
Drew Burchett wrote:
I've noticed a new trend in spam on my mail server that is getting by
SpamAssassin.  The spammer is creating his message and then attach a
couple of garbage PDFs to the email.  These PDFs make it too large for
SpamAssassin to scan the message, so it gets by the system.  I have
tried turning up the size so SpamAssassin will scan it, but it takes WAY
too long to scan a message.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how I
could catch/scan these messages without putting too much of a load on
SpamAssassin?

Drew Burchett
United Systems & Software
Ph:  (270)527-3293
Fax:  (270)527-3132

And it works too. I suppose more spammers don't use this technique more often and so far, I have not found a nice way to deal with it.

Probably ClamAV is the way to go for big messages. Try Sanesecurity
signatures if you don't already.

You can use spamassassin and clamav with or without Amavis, but to check the message, you must make a system wide change that will affect every message. Bypassing file size limits with any of those setups might not be an ideal solution. After a brief read on Sanesecurity signatures, it appears that the size limits will still come into the equation and again, a system wide setting change is required.

Randy Ramsdell