Our users are getting hundreds of these!

One of the problems is that the actual spam email is sometimes not attached. But interestly enough we are usually sent the email header of the original email. From that we (the humans) can easily spot that the IP address of the mailserver claiming to be ours is, in fact, not. So, if that line in the returned email header can be parsed perhaps a program can validate the IP address.

Only a suggestion - I'm sure a lot harder in real life.

SPF only works in these instances if (1) the domain users know what mailservers they might use amd (2) the mailserver that received the original SMTP connection analyzes SPF before accepting the connection and doesn't just bounce the email back to the sender.