Hello Hiram,

It's not scary, you have to step up and own it - be prepared. The best
way might be to replicate the situation/scenario in a Virtual
environment, and attempt upgrading in there first, to see what might go
wrong, and how you can avoid problems on your live server.

VMWare is great for this, for me. You might find some other
Virtualization software suits you, but it is much better to use that
than to "learn" Spamassassin on your live server(s).

Doing something on a live server that you haven't done before at all,
will get you labelled as a loose cannon.

Cheers,
Mike

Im
> > not going into fixing that, that is a Debian question.
> >
> > You need to download the package manually with 'wget'.
> > You can "apt-get install wget" if you don't have it.
> > Use wget to get the package.
> > Example "wget http://somefileyouwant.deb";
> >
> > After that use dpkg -i to install the package just as if you'd used
> > apt-get.
> > "dpkg -i somefileyouwant.deb"
> >
> > That will install your Spamassassin package. Just remember you're
> > opening a can of worms by using anything later than S.A. version
3.1.7
> > on Debian Sarge. The newer versions are reported to run fine on
Debian