On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 10:03:28AM +0100, Justin Mason wrote:

> Henrik Krohns writes:
> > On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 09:35:31AM +0100, Justin Mason wrote:
> > >
> > > the VBounce plugin is intended to catch backscatter -- bounces in response
> > > to mail you didn't send -- so it'll ignore bounces in response to mail you
> > > _did_ send, by parsing the bounced message's Received: headers and looking
> > > for the mailserver's name in there.
> >
> > I've been trying it for myself. One thing I don't like is that all
> > null-sender mail is assumed to be bounces. It creates many FPs.
>
> Yes.  What kind of null-sender mail from machines that are not in
> whitelist_bounce_relays do you get?

I would assume this is common knowledge. :-)

- Mass mailings of all sorts, mailing lists, news
- Order confirmations
- Some very legimate mails from people using lotus notes, hotmail
- etc, etc..

You can just imagine a system/administrator thinking that it's wise to send
anything that "doesn't require a reply" as null. It's very common.

Do you want a bug opened?